The ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 OC is the first higher-end card on the TUF Gaming brand since its transformation from a durable motherboard portfolio to a gaming-centric full line of products. The new NVIDIA’s flagship GeForce RTX 3080 based on the Ampere graphics architecture, introduces a new generation double-throughput CUDA core that can perform concurrent FP32+INT32 math. The new 2nd generation RT core doubles the BVH traversal and intersection performance over the previous generation and introduces new fixed-function hardware that enables newer RTX effects, such as raytraced motion blur. The 3rd generation Tensor core shares many design elements with its HPC cousin powering the A100 Tensor Core processor NVIDIA launched this spring, which leverages the sparsity phenomenon in deep-learning neural networks to double AI inference performance by an order of magnitude. NVIDIA heavily uses AI in its raytracing pipeline, and image-quality features such as DLSS. The new DLSS 8K feature takes a stab at 8K gaming by taking advantage of AI.
The new GeForce RTX 3080 features more than double the CUDA core counts than the previous-generation, with over 8,704 CUDA cores, 68 RT cores, 272 tensor cores, 272 TMUs, and 96 ROPs. All this compute muscle is fed data by an updated memory setup consisting of 10 GB of 19 Gbps GDDR6X memory across a 320-bit wide memory interface, which works out to 760 GB/s of bandwidth; that’s 70% higher than the previous generation. There are several other “next generation” bits, such as support for PCI-Express 4.0 x16 bus, the latest HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4a connectivity, and AV1 video acceleration. NVIDIA built the GA102 over the 8 nm FFN process Samsung designed especially for NVIDIA.
The ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 OC comes with the military-grade metal aesthetic characteristic of TUF series. It packs a meaty cooling solution that features multiple fin stacks and trio of ASUS’s new-generation Axial-Tech fans. The card comes with factory-overclocked speeds of 1785 MHz GPU Boost (vs. 1710 MHz reference). Let’s see if it’s worth the price.
- NVIDIA Ampere Streaming Multiprocessors: The building blocks for the world’s fastest, most efficient GPU, the all-new Ampere SM brings 2X the FP32 throughput and improved power efficiency.
- 2nd Generation RT Cores: Experience 2X the throughput of 1st gen RT Cores, plus concurrent RT and shading for a whole new level of ray tracing performance.
- 3rd Generation Tensor Cores: Get up to 2X the throughput with structural sparsity and advanced AI algorithms such as DLSS. Now with support for up to 8K resolution, these cores deliver a massive boost in-game performance and all-new AI capabilities.
- Axial-tech Fan Design has been newly tuned with a reversed central fan direction for less turbulence.
- Dual Ball Fan Bearings can last up to twice as long as sleeve bearing designs.
- Military-grade Capacitors and other TUF components enhance durability and performance.
- GPU Tweak II provides intuitive performance tweaking, thermal controls, and system monitoring.